9 a.m. - noon
Boats must be on-site for inspection and judging by 9:15 a.m.
Race starts at 10 a.m.
Burleson Recreation Center, 550 NW Summercrest Blvd
Gather your recyclables and create a boat for the City's Recycled Boat Regatta. Participants must be 6 - 17 years of age and boats must be made from previously used, recycled material. Individuals or teams may participate. Any member of the team may pilot the boat. Teams may choose to have more than one pilot. All racers must be dressed in swimwear.
Examples of acceptable recyclable materials:
• Plastic bottles
• Metal cans
Examples of unacceptable materials:
• NO containers that contained pollutants or other hazardous waste;
• NO potentially dangerous objects (e.g., NO glass, nails, rusty metal or anything with sharp edges)
• NO parts from “real” boats or commercial flotation (e.g., no old boat hulls, no boogie/surf boards, no borrowed rudders);
• NO material that could break off into the pool (e.g., NO Styrofoam)
Please make sure all materials on the boat are securely fastened so that no loose objects fall off into the pool during the regatta. If any piece of your boat falls off into the water, you must retrieve it. Duct tape is allowed.
Prize categories include the following:
• First boat to cross the finish line
• Most creative
• Best name
• Titanic award (to the most spectacular failure)
• People’s Choice