Red Cross Lifeguarding Certifications Class
Classes are closed for the 2023 season
Register at the BRiCk
Before registering for a lifeguard training class, please review and gain full understanding of the course prerequisites.
- Fee: $200 per student
- Scholarship Application: Kevin Hall Scholarship 2018
- Age: 15 and Up (15 by the last day of class)
- Materials Needed: Bathing suit, towels, goggles, dry change of clothes, jacket, snacks, drinks, pen, and spiral notebook.
Materials Provided with Class Fee
Digital copy of lifeguard book and resuscitation mask.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following skills :
- Swim 300 yards without stopping
- Demonstrate breath control and rhythmic breathing
- Swim freestyle, breaststroke or a combination of both strokes
- Swimming backstroke or sidestroke is not allowed
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Tread water for two minutes using only legs. Candidates must place their hands under their arms or hold them above the water.
Participants must already have the knowledge and ability to swim the strokes for the prerequisites, as there will be no swim instruction prior to testing. Those who are not able to pass the prerequisite skills predetermined by the American Red Cross will not be permitted to remain in the class due to liability and risk factors associated with the physical demands of the course. A refund of $150 may be remitted to those who do not pass the prerequisite skill test, which is the class fee less the cost of the non-refundable registration fee.
Participants who are 16 years of age and pass both the written and physical tests of the course will be certified by the American Red Cross in Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR, and AED, making them eligible for employment as a certified lifeguard. Although the City of Burleson may hire from the group selected, employment by the City of Burleson is not guaranteed.
Email for information