Environmental sustainability education is crucial to the mission of Keep BURLESON Beautiful.
We can all help each other. Some things are easy to do; some small changes in our lives can actually make a difference.
See if there is something you can adopt on the list below.
5 Things YOU can do to help:
- Reduce fertilizer use. A single pound of fertilizer will grow more than 500 pounds of algae in the lagoon blocking sunlight to seagrasses, and robbing the water of oxygen, causing fish kills.
- Send only rain down the storm drain. Keeping pollutants like grass clippings, yard wastes, oils and trash away from storm drains directly impacts the water quality.
- Pick up after pets. Pet waste left on paved surfaces, lawns or around storm drains and water bodies will eventually reach lagoon or other surface waters after rainstorms.
- Use Native and Texas-friendly plants. These plants need less water and fertilizer to thrive, provide wildlife habitats, and support biodiversity without overwhelming native species.
- Leave only footprints. Respect your surroundings visit properly dispose of wrappers, bottle cans, and other trash.
Each Piece of Litter Discarded on Texas highways costs $1 to pickup.